On August 4, 2008, Town Council adopted a new by-law covering open air fires and the use of fire works. This by-law requires that citizens follow some essential safety rules:
There is a total ban on camp fires or the use of fireworks when the flammability index is at either the “dangerous” or “extreme” level.
Only the following types of fires are authorized without a permit when the index is “low” or moderate”:
- Wood fires in a fire places designed for that purpose;
- Fires in open air cooking apparatuses such as fire places and BBQ;
- Fires in metal containers with spark inhibiting covers;
- Fires on gravel or sandy soil where the circumference is free of any vegetation;
- For Farmers: straw or hay fires when authorized by the Fire Department;
- Industrial burn-off when authorized by the authorities (SOPFEU).
In all other cases, an authorization (permit) is required. The permit is free and can be obtained by phoning 450-242-1222
Your cooperation is appreciated!